On Saturday, December 7, 2013, Clean Ocean Action held a conference more than one year after Superstorm Sandy at McLoone’s Pier House in Long Branch, New Jersey. Over 100 attendees came to celebrate the culmination of the Waves of Action program.
A celebration of the culmination of Waves of Action “For The Shore,” the year-long Sandy response program, the conference highlighted the extraordinary success of Waves of Action volunteers and project leaders, released results of a summer-long survey on sea level rise and accountability, and included panel discussions with distinguished speakers. Panelists and speakers discussed, ‘What Do Communities Need Now and How Can Volunteers Help?’ and ‘What Resources are Available for Resiliency and Environmental Stewardship?’
Many thanks to Waves of Action Conference speakers, panelists and moderators:
- US Representative Frank Pallone, New Jersey, 6th District
- Brian Thompson, NJ Reporter for NBC New York
- Britta Wenzel, Save Barnegat Bay Executive Director
- Emilio DeLia, New Jersey Recovery Fund Project Manager
- Frank Lawrence, Sea Bright Volunteer Coordinator
- Joe Reynolds, Bayshore Regional Watershed Council Co-Chair
- Justin Auciello, Jersey Shore Hurricane News Founder
- Lauren Townsend, NJ Director US Strong
- Sean Dixon, COA Coastal Policy Attorney
- Suzanne Golas, csjp, WATERSPIRIT Executive Director
- Tom Dallessio, Director of NJIT Center for Resilient Design
Through Waves of Action “For The Shore,” nearly 14,000 volunteers have helped to improve and protect the marine environment through 281 projects, with more than 125 different organizations, in over 70 towns in New York and New Jersey.
The Waves of Action Conference was sponsored by Whole Earth Center of Princeton, Montecalvo Recovery Facility, New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio, Barefoot Wine and Bubbly.
The Waves of Action program was sponsored by Aveda, Bloomberg, Dave Matthews Band, Provident Bank Foundation, LUSH Cosmetics, Rebuild Recover, Mickey Hart Band, Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, All-State Foundation, Spinach for Rip & Joe Schiavone Foundation, Eileen Fisher, Inc., The Harriet Greenfield Foundation.